8/22/2014

WHOLE WHEAT BLUEBERRY COBBLER

A fun fact(in Ted Mosby's voice): "Up until last week, I have not tasted fresh blueberries in my life". I have had it in the muffins, ice creams, flavored yoghurts...but fresh ones, nah, nope, nada! First of all, fresh blueberries weren't available where i grew up, strawberries yes, but not blueberries. When i had access to fresh ones eventually, i didn't wanna try them because i always had this notion in my mind that they tasted sour, boy was i wrong, and gone are those blueberry less years of my life. Thanks to Tee and his visit to the grocery store the other day, i had a chance to try them berries. And once i tasted them(it was like summer in my mouth), i couldn't wait to bake something with those tiny blue amazeballs. I wanted to try something simple to begin with, so i decided to make a cobbler, whats a summer to fall transition without a cobbler, right? I decided to go kinda healthy with it and use one part whole wheat flour. Prepare this cobbler before dinner, and enjoy them as a post dinner sweet treat. 
Whole Wheat Blueberry Cobbler - serves 4
Prep time - 10 minutes, Cooking time - 40 minutes 
Ingredients
Whole wheat flour - 1/2 cup 
All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Ground cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
Baking powder - 1 tablespoon
Milk - 3/4 cup
Browned butter - 3 tablespoon (or enough to coat your baking pan)
Cane/brown sugar - 1 teaspoon
Fresh blueberries - 3/4 cup 

Mix the dry ingredients(whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, sugar, ground cinnamon, baking powder) together in a bowl. After they are well mixed, add the milk to the dry mixture and mix/beat to form a smooth batter without any lumps. I use a wooden spoon as i don't have a beater or electric mixer, it's a really good alternative, speeds up the whole process.
Coat a 9 inch baking pan with the browned butter. Ingredient measurements needs to be adjusted for a different size pan, although 1 or two inches variation shouldn't be a problem. Got only butter sticks?, learn how to brown butter here, it adds such good flavor to any dish. Now pour the batter in the pan. Add the blueberries on top and do not mix them with the batter, leave them at the top, they will sink into the batter while baking. Add pinches of brown sugar on top, for the extra sweetness on the crust. 
Slide in the pan into a pre heated oven(keep the pan in the middle/center rack), and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Once done, take the pan out of the oven, and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Serve your cobbler warm with a scoop of ice cream.
Options:
  • Use your choice of berries.
  • Use melted butter instead of browned butter.
  • Skip the brown sugar if u don't have it.
  • Reheat the saved for later(best breakfast ever) cobblers before serving them, always serve a warm cobbler.
Tee absolutely loves this, and is already pushing me to make them again. He might not cook(that often), but he knows his food, so when he is happy with a recipe, i stick to it like a glue! Do try this and let me know how you like it. Lets welcome fall with some warm cobblers. xo, Hems.

16 comments:

  1. Yuummy!! the pic with ice cream made me hungry :(
    http://theknotstory.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig the baking dish .... and of course, the cobbler :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home goods, it makes me smile while baking with it :)

      Delete
  3. yum this looks delicious! xo
    Jamie
    www.candystilettos.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read through every post, I just go back to those days of us flipping the pages of Femina on a lazy weekend checking out the clothing and their brands, those days when you and me hit a salon for a haircut and you suggest a new style, those days of sipping expensive coffee from Gloria Jeans and many more from the past! I honestly never thought you'd cook this great hugs, but I am truly glad you do ! :) :). I just love your kitchen and the way you maintain it! Spl mention to Tee for his photographs and kudos to you who organized. This is totally neat !! Screw H1B, this is way better than SharePoint ! :) Go girl ! :)

    Love,
    Pri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you Pri , and those memories were the best of the best..I am surprised by my cooking too, and clean kitchen, yup, he says i have OCD! And Tee only takes pics of me, i take the rest, but truly cant do without him. Thank you, Pri!!! Love Love Love you!! xo xo

      Delete
  5. Just mention blueberries and I'm on it!

    Brigita
    http://www.lostinpattern.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great. I love the whole wheat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lilith..healthy and tasty that one.

      xo

      Delete
  7. looks gorgeous! bet it tastes fantastic, too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this recipe- and it looks really delicious! Thanks for sharing:) www.chai-rose.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to share these recipes, hope you try this :)

      Delete

Thanks for writing in, i read and appreciate each and every comment.