8/23/2017

WHEN MEMORIES COME FLOODING BACK

Reminiscing about my childhood, growing up in my hometown is not something i consciously do or think about often. But recently certain discussions or random things have been reminding me of some of my favorite memories growing up. Thought i would share those here, and maybe kindle some of your childhood memories as well.

Few days ago T and I were discussing about how nowadays kids have access to a lot of food items on a daily basis, which were more of a luxury for him and I when we were kids. One such food item was ice cream. Nowadays, everyone keeps a tub or box of ice-cream in the freezer all the time, including us. Its mostly Talenti Gelato in our case. But growing up, ice cream was something that we had only on special occasions, when there is a festival, when we are entertaining big group of friends or family. When i was talking about this to T, who had similar upbringing, suddenly I remembered, how my dad would buy Arun ice cream balls every time we have a big non-veg lunch on weekends with our extended family. Do you remember those white balls with blue caps? It was my favorite, and one ball was never enough for me. And the best part, once you are done with eating, you can wash it and use to play ball. We use to play catch, cricket, and all sorts of games. Oh, fun times those were. Its one of my fond memories of my childhood that i have never really thought of before. So it was quite a good feeling when it all came rushing back to my mind :)


Next memory came to me when we went grocery shopping this week. T saw the grapes and asked me if we should buy a pack, and if so which one. I said green ones, then I saw the black ones nearby. Usually i don't see black ones, just the green and brownish pink ones. As soon as i saw those i said to T to take the black grapes instead. As i said to him, my childhood memories came flooding back. My dad used to get us these seedless black grapes that are supposedly imported from some foreign country. It really tasted very exotic and yummy. And i still vividly remember our one bedroom apartment, dad bringing the grapes when he came home from work. Mom would wash them and bring it to me, and i would make a fuss not wanting to eat it, but end up gobbling it all up ;)

The next one is not so much of a memory but something i didn't associate with my growing up until today. Light bulbs. I was listening to Young House Love Has A Podcast, and they were discussing about how John, one of the two podcasters didn't like the white daylight bulbs and always liked the warm yellow soft lights. I am the opposite. I do not like the yellow soft lights, and love the white daylight bulbs. But i have never really put too much thought into why. But then realized, maybe like they teased on the podcast its probably because like John who grew up having warm soft lights in his room, i grew up having white tube-lights in our house. Its probably why many of my Indian friends all like the white day lights bulbs, and hate the soft yellow ones, because we all grew up with those white tube-lights in India. Simple preference in light bulbs suddenly makes so much sense to me now.

Thats all folks. Just a random post on a random day. Feels so good to write after a long time.
Let me know your thoughts on the comments below.
I am more active on Instagram than i am on the blog here or Facebook. So follow my Instagram account for more fashion posts or random life updates.
Take care. XO, Hems.

3 comments:

  1. Arun Ice-Cream after the non-veg feast, could relate it SO MUCH hugs!! And in my family it also used to be the Podaran (Paneer Soda) after the non-veg feast !

    I have missed tube-lights after moving to Kuwait and been complaining how the house looks dark especially in winter.But the new place of ours has tube-lights!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew we would miss something so trivial like a tube light living outside India. And yay!

      Delete

Thanks for writing in, i read and appreciate each and every comment.