10/02/2014

CHICK PEA OR GARBANZO BEANS SAUTÉ-SALAD

Its festival season in India, and you would have to be in India to know how this festivity truly feels, each state celebrates this differently(beauty of India), and the whole country is filled with the festive mood. All the readers who are celebrating Pooja / Dassera / Navratri today, my hearty wishes guys, and you probably made this recipe a million(i like to exaggerate a little) times already, so feel free to take quick nap! Others, lets get into it, today i am sharing one of the easiest yet healthy snack my mom makes every year(every single year) on this auspicious day. So this year when i was making this by myself, with so many wonderful memories of family and fun times, listening to "jodi" movie songs (its our mom-daughter favorite), i almost felt like i was back at my parents' place. Festivals always make me miss family, i guess its the same with everyone. Oh, i am nothing if not the queen of digression, let me stop here and focus on the yummy recipe.
I will admit i was not a fan of chickpeas in my childhood, but as i grew up and got to know about the health benefits of chick peas, i started enjoying this recipe. You cannot find a recipe with chick peas thats easier than this one, wanna bet?

I am calling this a salaté because its a combination of sauté and salad (taking a bow). May be i will have an eponym after my name in my next birth. No judging people.

This sauté-salad is perfect as a side, or you can use it in tacos, or simply snack on it in the evenings.
Chick Pea or Garbanzo Beans Sauté-Salad (Serves 3-4)
Ingredients
Chick pea - 1 cup
Cooking Oil - 3 tablespoon
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Bengal gram/Channa dal - 1 tablespoon
Onion - 3/4 cup / 1 large onion - chopped
Green chilli - 8 finely chopped (you can add more or less to make it hot or mild)
Salt - add to your taste
Soak the chick peas in water for 5 hours or overnight. Then pressure cook them with 4 cups of water, few drops of oil and salt. I used an Indian style pressure cooker, and let 4 whistles on medium heat before turning off the flame. You can also quick-soak pressure cook these beans if you don't have time to soak the beans. You can prep your veggies (onions and chillis here) while the chickpeas are cooking. Once cooked, drain the excess water, and keep the cooked chickpeas aside.
In a pan, add cooking oil and once hot, add mustard seeds. Let it splutter, then add bengal gram. Once the bengal gram turns golden brown, add the chopped onions, green chillis and salt to taste. Sauté until the onions turn translucent or cooked. Now add the cooked chick peas, mix and cook for a minute or two and its done! Told you its gonna be easy.
What do you think of this recipe? How would you change this recipe to suit your palate? Let me know in the comments. xo, Hems.

Did you find this post useful? Would love to hear your feedback. Connect with me on Facebook / Twitter / Bloglovin. Do follow me on Instagram to see what i am upto when i am not inventing cool recipe names.

12 comments:

  1. This salad looks incredible! It's making me incredibly hungry! I can't wait to whip some up myself. I'll have to give this recipe a go this weekend! Thank you so much for sharing!!

    The What's In Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it goes..happy to share :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow this looks really delicious. I'm going to have to try it out one of these days. Thanks for sharing!

    Little Lady Little City

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big fan of chickpeas, but I've never made them prepared like this. I like to add cumin to mine. It gives it a nice kick. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼ ☯

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cumin brings in a unique flavor to any dish... do try this!

      Delete
  4. Yumm - so simple and perfect! I like "salate" - I see some salates in my future!! 6000milestohome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so easy that even I can make it..hehe.. Love the layout of your blog hun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha..yup, i am always finding easy recipes to make.. and thank you so much, Karishma! You have a great blog.

      Delete
  6. Sundal-ku "salate"-nu oru Peter build-up ah? Mmm-hmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha...a posh translation, thats all.. ;)

      Delete

Thanks for writing in, i read and appreciate each and every comment.